Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Interview with Eilis Flynn


Title: Static Shock
Author: Eilis Flynn
Publisher: Crescent Moon Publishing
Release Date: March 2012
Pages: 219
Buy Here:
Amazon/Barnes & Noble

Can you live without your computer? Can you wear a watch? Do you know anyone who can't?

In a time not long from now, there are people whose life paths are determined by such simple details. Legally recognized as electromagnetics, or "Readers", they are a twist in evolution, an anomaly in a society that has become technologically dependent. Considered second-class citizens because of their heightened electromagnetic fields, Readers can't wear watches, get too close to a TV, or even drive for fear they will shut down the car's electrical system. Computers become worthless doorstops quickly around Readers. Career prospects are limited.

Reader Jeanne Muir decides to expand her horizons when she's unexpectedly offered a new job opportunity. But she hasn't been told that her job description includes being framed for a crime she didn't commit. Because Readers are not held in high esteem, Jeanne's an easy scapegoat, and law enforcement definitely is not on her side. Knowing she was set up and the odds are against her, Jeanne can't let herself be taken in-and risks asking mysterious, sexy Ran Owata, a fellow Reader who is no longer accepted among their kind, for help. The problem is: Can she trust him? Does she have a choice?

Interview

Kayla:


Why do you like to write fantasy?

Eilis: Building worlds and interesting people that have nothing to do with this reality, giving them challenges and abilities to overcome them!

Kayla: What was the process of becoming published like for you?

Eilis: It was long and arduous and dispiriting. If not for the fact that I like telling stories, I would have given it up. But you have to take it day by day, keep writing the stories you want to tell. By the time I got my first email asking for THE SLEEPER AWAKES and FESTIVAL OF STARS (for Ellora’s Cave’s Cerridwen Press), I had had rejections for both of those stories for a decade. So it took a while, but I got there.

Kayla: Are you working on any projects currently?

Eilis: I am! It’s a combination of super-heroes, a comatose woman, and a mystery, and a romance that binds them all. It’s in the same world as my super heroine romance INTRODUCING SONIKA, but there are no superheroes in it. For the most part.

Kayla: What has been your favorite character to write about?

Eilis: Sonika, the super heroine, was the one that came easiest and quickest, mainly because I grew up reading comic books, I wrote comic books, and I even worked (briefly) in the industry. Jeanne Muir, the heroine of STATIC SHOCK, is a close second, because she’s a smart ass but she’s a survivor, even though she has to figure out what she’s got to do to get out of the mess she’s been placed in.

Kayla:
What do you think about Book Bloggers?

Eilis: Bless their hearts! Love ‘em. They’re reading at a time when a lot of people aren’t.

Kayla: Do you like to write during the day or night?

Eilis: If I had my druthers I’d write in the morning, but I have a dayjob, so I write in the afternoon. I wake up at 5am, and that lets me figure out what I’ll be writing about later, whether it’s the current story, or a blog post, or something else.

Kayla: Where is your favorite place to write?

Eilis: My office. It’s messy and comfy, but it allows me to focus. Although it’s gotten to be messy enough that I’ve started to reorganize. I always tell myself I’m going to organize once I finish a project, but there’s always another project that’s hanging over my head, so it gets put off again. But I’m starting to lose things in the piles, and that’s not good.

Kayla:
What do you think about self-publishing vs. traditional publishing?

Eilis: Self-publishing allows you to expand your horizons. But you do have to make sure it’s as polished and professional as possible. I have a workshop I present with my friend Jacquie Rogers about the faeries and dragon myths around the world, and inspired by all the research I did for my part, I wrote a novella that I self-published, THE RIDDLE OF RYU. I’m a professional editor in my day job, and I’m the first to tell you that even professionals need to have others go over their work.


Eilis Flynn has worked at a comic book company, a couple of Wall Street brokerage firms, a wire service, and a magazine for futurists. She’s written a variety of things that don’t seem to belong together, but they do: comic book stories both online and in print, scholarly works in a previous life as a scholar, book reviews and interviews, and articles about finance (at odds with her anthropology background), before settling down to write romantic fantasies about the reality beyond what we can see. She lives in Washington state and can be reached at http://www.blogger.com/www.eilisflynn.com

Above is Eilis' latest release Static Stock, be sure to go check it out and possibly buy it! Thanks so much for this Interview Eilis, I really appreciate it and wish you all the best. Thanks everyone for stopping by and reading this, feel free to leave comments I would love to read and respond! I am sure Eilis would love reading them too.

Find Eilis Here:
Goodreads
Website
Facebook
Twitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment