Monday, October 7, 2013

ARC Review: Cowboy Justice



Title: Cowboy Justice
Series: Catcher Creek, #2
Author: Melissa Cutler
Publisher: Zebra
Release Date: October 1, 2013
Pages: 368
Buy LinksAmazon (Paperback) | Amazon (Kindle) | BN | Kobo | iTunes

Blurb:

Transforming their parents' rundown ranch in the small town of Catcher Creek, New Mexico, into a tourist destination is the toughest challenge the three Sorentino sisters ever faced. But now one of them has another fight on her hands - to keep from falling for the sexy town sheriff - again...

Rachel Sorentino has spent her whole life protecting her siblings from trouble - only to run headlong into it herself. Her first regret about shooting at the vandals targeting her family ranch is that her aim wasn't better. Her second is that when bullets started flying, it was Sheriff Vaughn Cooper's number she dialed. Vaughn is the mistake she keeps on making, a cowboy lawman who cuts through Rachel's surface bravado to the vulnerability no one else sees. And no matter how inconvenient their attraction - for his career, her tangled case, and his already battered heart - there's no denying what feels so irresistibly right...


Review

Yet another masterpiece from Melissa Cutler!!!

This book had so much emotion in it, but it wasn't depressing. I love how strong Rachel Sorentino was. She grew up learning that she didn't need anyone to lean on. She looked out for her sisters like the parents they should have had. She put their happiness before her own. The same went for Vaughn. He had a misconception that in order to show Rachel how he felt for her, he needed to obey her every wishes. Well, that definitely worked out, didn't it? They were a mess!

The conflict between integrity and desire was big on Vaughn in this book. Poor guy felt like a failure in every way possible, all because he let his guard down to be with the person he wanted most. I enjoyed the moments with his family (the good ones), especially the time spent with his dad. I loved that they have some kind of code for when Vaughn needed to talk to him and get some advice.

Dad: "Who is she?"
Vaughn"Who's who?"
Dad"The homeowner [that was] shot. I'm right about it being a woman, aren't I?"
Vaughn"How'd you know?"
Dad"Because you're reorganizing the nail drawer. You only do that when you've got a person of the female persuasion on your mind."

Another thing I loved about Vaughn was his honor. As crazy as Rachel made him feel, he never did forget to use a condom. I love that the author writes about steamy scenes, but the characters are still responsible. Vaughn would do anything to be there for Rachel, even if it's only his badge she needed.

This book also had quite the humor! I loved the moment when Vaughn and Rachel were talking about foods they hated. They were both absolutely hilarious! My favorite part of this book was the cake testing scene. Vaughn did a complete 180 and showed his love to Rachel through his actions. Kellan's stutter was quite the icing on the cake. I don't want to spoil the book so you're just going to have to read it to find out what I'm talking about!

Overall, this book is full of action, love, determination, and family. You wouldn't want to miss this series!

Check out some of my favorite scenes:

Rachel was feisty!!!

"Then I feel obliged to inform you, Kate -- woman to woman -- that when I get through with him, if I ever get through with him, he ain't gonna be good for much. Not after being ridden than hard for that long. A cowgirl like you should know that. But if you've got a thing for sloppy seconds, go ahead and get in line."

Vaughn sharing his insight about women.

Vaughn: "You and Chris don't have any sisters, so you're not altogether familiar with this sort of sisterly battle?"
Nathan: "Nope. Just us three boys. Our oldest brother, Tom, has two girls."
Vaughn: "I have two younger sisters. My only word of advice is never get caught in the middle of two sisters fighting. It ain't pretty. Especially when they live close together and their monthly cycles match up."
Nathan: "Aw, now, don't talk about woman stuff. Ugh."
Vaughn: "Spoken like a man who doesn't have sisters. There's no escaping the topic when you live with three women. You become numb to all the tampons and crying and ice packs and late-night chocolate ice cream runs. You'll have to take my word on that."

Finally, check out this exclusive character interview with the Sorentino sisters!!!

Hi ladies! Thanks for stopping by!

Jenna: Thank you. Everybody’s always going on and on about Kellan and Vaughn, but it’s nice to have a little attention on us sister for a change.
Rachel: Speak for yourself.
Amy: Oh, don’t be such a stick in the mud. This is going to be fun.

I want to start by saying Congratulations on your engagement, Amy! In Cowboy Justice, there was a cake testing. Were you able to choose the cake you want for your wedding?

Amy: why, thank you. I always knew that someday I’d meet the cowboy of my dreams, I just had no idea he’d be my next door neighbor. As far as the cake we chose, we ended up with a layer of chocolate crème and a layer of lemon.
Rachel: I tried to get her to serve triple berry cream pie, but I was outvoted.
Amy: You can serve that at your own wedding.
Rachel: I do believe we will.

Rachel, are you excited to be Amy's maid of honor?

Rachel: I don’t think excited is quite the word I’d use, because Amy knows I’d be just as happy watching her get hitched from the audience, but at least she’s letting us wear cowboy boots with our dresses.
Jenna: [nudging Rachel in the ribs] I can’t wait to see you in a dress for the first time in my life.
Amy: And with make-up on, too.
Rachel: Whoa, now, I didn’t agree to that.
Jenna: Tell Arianne about the bridesmaid dresses, Amy. They’re gorgeous!
Amy: Oh, all right. They’re light blue and strapless.
Rachel: Hold on a sec...strapless? Nobody said anything about a strapless dress. How’s it supposed to stay up?
Jenna: Your boobs, silly.
Rachel: [rolling her eyes] Oh, brother.

Finally, Jenna, do you have a date for the wedding yet? *wink wink*

Jenna: I wish. I’m going to be so busy on Amy’s wedding day since I’m the one planning it that I won’t have time for much romance. My only date is my little guy, Tommy. But there is a certain groomsman I’m hoping will ask me to dance at the reception. I’ll keep you posted on that development.

Let's talk about Vaughn. Rachel, when did you realize you were attracted to the sheriff?

Rachel: [looking uncomfortable] Aw, now, you know I don’t like to talk about myself.
Amy: Go on and tell her. [To Arianne] I love this story. It’s so romantic.
Rachel: You think everything’s romantic because you’re about to be a bride.
Jenna: I don’t think it’s that romantic. It took you two twelve years to figure out you were in love. You were both totally dense!
Rachel: Hey, now. We were busy living our lives. But the question was when did I realize I was attracted to Vaughn, and I would say it was the first time I saw him, which was not the first time he brought Jenna home in the back of his patrol car. It was at the Quay County fair. He was twenty-three and working patrol.
Jenna: You fell for that uniform and his cowboy lawman vibe, didn’t you?
Rachel [with a sly smile]: He does cut a fine figure when he’s on the job.

Rumor says that you've been with Vaughn in many interesting places including the kitchen counter. What's your favorite location? ;)

Amy: [clamping her hands over her ears] Ack. T.M.I.!
Rachel: Don’t worry, Amy. I’m not going to answer that.
Jenna: I’ll answer that.
Rachel and Amy together: You will?
Jenna: Mm-hmm. There was this one time on a Sunday after church I was getting Tommy’s hair cut at Erskine’s Barber shop and I caught them walking out of Vaughn’s office looking a little too happy and relaxed, if you know what I mean. I’d been wondering if you two ever make use of those handcuffs he carries around.
Amy: That’s disgusting. Vaughn’s office? That’s so public. And on a Sunday?
Rachel: [her face turning red] You can’t believe Jenna. She’s just inventing gossip, as she likes to do.
Jenna: If you say so, but I know what I saw.
Rachel: [blushing] Can we move on to the next question please? Now.

Did you set a wedding date yet?

Rachel: Not yet. We’re just happy being happy, if that makes any sense. And I wouldn’t want to steal any bit of spotlight away from Amy and that circus of a wedding she’s planning.
Amy: Hey now. It’s going to be beautiful. Jenna’s on the job as our wedding planner.
Rachel: Oh please. Like anything you touch doesn’t turn into something crazy. You and Kellan invited the entire town and every person you each know. How is that not going to turn into a circus? This town is like one big dysfunctional family.
Jenna: I’ve got everything under control, so don’t you worry, Mama Two.
Amy: She’s not acting very motherly right now. More like a wicked step-mother.
Rachel: [poking Amy hard in the shoulder] Well, you are acting like an uppity princess right now.
Jenna: [to Arianne] I think it’s time to wrap it up, if you catch my drift. I think we used up all Amy and Rachel’s good manners.

I think that's about all the time we have for today. Thanks Rachel, Amy, and Jenna for joining us. Any last words to our readers?

Rachel: I hope readers give me and Vaughn’s story, COWBOY JUSTICE, a chance. I’d like to set the story straight about what happened on our farm with the shoot-out and the trouble I got into, and how Vaughn helped me get through it in his own way.
Jenna: It was a tough time. You almost died more than once and our house almost burned to the ground, but looking back, it was worth all that struggle because you and Vaughn finally figured out you were perfect for each other.
Rachel: That we did, little sis. That we did. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment