Monday, July 11, 2016

ARC Review: Billionaire Blackmail

I'm excited for this review because Alison has become one of my favorite authors. I met her when I edited her debut novel. I didn't get to edit this one, but I was so grateful I got to read it! I'm also really excited that she's with Entangled - my favorite publisher! Anyway, without much rambling, check out my review of her first Entangled novel :)

Title: Billionaire Blackmail
Author: Alison Aimes
Publisher: Entangled: Indulgence
Release Date: July 11, 2016
Pages: 213
Buy Links: Amazon | BN

Blurb:

After a childhood spent on the streets, ruthless billionaire Nik Valenti has had his share of dealing with crooks. He thought that was behind him. Until the woman he's been casually dating turns out to be the biggest con artist of them all. Now, with pride, money, and his company's survival at stake, he won't rest until she's experienced his own brand of justice.  

Sara Turner knows she's no angel, but a few deliberate omissions...well, compared to the rest of her family, that's choir girl behavior. But now the one man whose heart she'd hoped to steal is accusing her of embezzling from his company. Worse, he wants answers. And he's come up with a foolproof way to ensure he gets them. One Sara must accept if she doesn't want to end up in jail. 

Nik might be trying to save his company, but he has a tough time ignoring the way Sara makes him burn. The passion between them is all-consuming, and each time he peels away a layer, he discovers there’s more to her than first meets the eye, but he can’t give in to his need. Nik will put everything on the line to find the truth...except his heart.



So relatable, I almost wish I'd meet a billionaire and fall in love!

When I started this book, it was interesting, though it didn't grip me quite as immediate as I had expected. However, when the ball got rolling, I couldn't put it down. I just wanted to read it through the end, but at the same time, I didn't want it to end. You all know what I mean if you're a bookworm like me.

Nik Valenti was one ruthless bastard - literally. He didn't know his father and he was really ruthless when it came to business. Running his company was all he'd known, so everything in his life was a business deal. Except, he didn't realize that there was no such thing as a love contract. His struggle with trust was so relatable because I felt the same way. 

Sara, on the other hand, was believed to have been the villain of the story. Poor woman, she worked so hard to have people's respect, only to be accused of a crime. It was just as well that Nik couldn't keep his hands off her. He felt such a protectiveness towards her, which I really enjoyed reading about.

Overall, I loved how stiff Nik was at times, but Sara was the one that broke down all his defenses. I also enjoyed a bit of comedic breaks once in a while. Even when Nik was negotiating, his bossiness would show, and to me, it was very entertaining.

Check out two of my favorite scenes below.

Nik: "There's no going back. You belong to me now."
Sara: "My time. My time belongs to you."
Nik: "That's what I said." 

~~~

Nik: "Open this damn door, woman."
Sara: "Two more minutes. You know what happened last time you talked me into a quick shower together. I'm not sitting through another lecture from Alatza on scheduling. Mrs. Rogers insisted we be ready by eight."
Nik: "Using Mrs. Rogers against me? That's cold. You know that woman scares me."


0 comments:

Post a Comment