Saturday, January 11, 2014

Review: Secret Agent Secretary



Title: Secret Agent Secretary
Series: ICE: Black Ops Defender, #2
Author: Melissa Cutler
Publisher: Harlequin Romantic Suspense
Release Date: January 7, 2013
Pages: 288
Buy LinkAmazon (Kindle) | Amazon (Paperback)

Blurb:

Bullets whizzed past as Ryan Reitano and Avery Meadows escaped into the night. How could Ryan have suspected Avery of being the mole inside ICE? It was true she was no ordinary secretary. The way she used her wits and her lethal stiletto heels against the gunmen pursuing them astonished the jaded agent. And that killer body he'd somehow never noticed before...

Too bad there wasn't time to explore the possibilities. With Chiara's men hot on their trail, capturing the mercenary was more than just a mission for Ryan. He had his own reasons for wanting the criminal dead. But with his surprising--and utterly enchanting--new partner, perhaps there'd be a chance for romance later...if they survived.


Review

Melissa Cutler never fails to impress!!!

As usual, this book was yet another masterpiece. Each of Melissa's books blew me away and made me fall in love with the characters I'm currently reading about. Secret Agent Secretary had the perfect formula for the perfect book - humor, romance, danger, and sexual tension.

After reading the book, I realized, the story took place in TWO DAYS. The amount of detail and action the characters experienced were phenomenal. Melissa has the imagination of a legend. I'd say she's the Nora Roberts of this generation :)

What I loved about Ryan was his deadpan deliveries. The guy had perfected a poker face that only Avery could read. When she started noticing the subtleties between his expression, I knew that she was a keeper. Before Avery, Ryan's life was what we would deem boring. Yes, he was black ops and all that, but his life was dull and full of darkness. With Avery in it, he may or may not have learned how to smile and even show a little bit of humor. The side of him he kept hidden was brought out by Avery and I enjoyed reading every single part of it.

Avery: (about Alicia) "No, she's great. I mean, you kept talking about a guy named Diego, that he fell in love and all that stuff. You didn't really say much about Alicia except that she'd been injured. She didn't look very injured to me."
Ryan: "She hides it well. And, yes, Diego did fall in love. He and his fiancee got married a couple of months ago in New Jersey. You seemed kind of jealous of Alicia. That's cool."
Avery: "How is that cool? It doesn't feel very cool."
Ryan: "It's cool because I'm pretty sure no one's felt jealous over me since my senior prom date, Jen Reichman, got into it with Marie Elena Sanchez after it came out that we'd gone steady in middle school. So I like that you're nervous about it. It turns me on."

Avery was the crazy spy fanatic with two cats. She's absolutely adorable! She liked to call Ryan's weapons as gadgets. It made her sound juvenile, but at the same time, I bet Ryan found it absolutely sexy. I mean, the way she caressed that decoy grenade? If that wasn't sexy and intriguing, I don't know what was.

Avery: "You shoot, I drive. Remember? You're going to have to trust me."
Ryan: "This is me trusting you."
Avery: "You have a death grip on the door."
Ryan: "I've never been driven like this by a woman before."

Seeing Diego and Alicia back in the scene, even just for a little bit, was quite refreshing. I missed reading about Alicia's designer style and Diego's ever-scowling face.

Overall, Melissa's books keep getting better and better, if that's even possible. This is a must read!

Giveaway

GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED.

Since I loved this book so much, I decided I want to give away a copy to one of my loyal readers. Your choice of Kindle or Paperback. Comment below an elaborate answer to this question: Why do you enjoy reading romantic suspense? I will contact the winner during the first week of February. Make sure you leave your email address in the comments so I can contact you. No email, no entry. GOOD LUCK!

1 comment: