Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Review: Lady Mercy Danforthe Flirts with Scandal



Title: Lady Mercy Danforthe Flirts with Scandal
Author: Jayne Fresina
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Release Date: June 4, 2013
Pages: 384
Buy LinkAmazon (Paperback) | Amazon (Kindle)
Source: ARC from Publisher

Blurb:

When a Perfectly Proper Lady...

Lady Mercy Danforthe always has a plan. It's what makes her such a successful matchmaker, and why she's obligated to spend a great deal of time generously organizing the lives of her friends and family. But there's one man beyond her help. One man whose recklessness she can't rein in; whose chaos she can't contain. Her ex-husband, Rafe Hartley. Her one—and only!—mistake.

Flirts with a Reckless Rogue...

Rafe has never forgiven Mercy for running out on him. Their hastily annulled marriage may have one lasted three hours, but that doesn't mean he needs her help finding a proper wife. Someone needs to teach little Miss Know-It-All a lesson about keeping her adorably freckled nose out of other people's business. And it just so happens that Mercy "Silky Drawers" Danforthe still owes him a wedding night...

A Scandal's Never Far Behind


Review

This was a great book, but it didn't quite satisfy me.

The first half of the book felt like an obligation for me. I felt like I was dragging my feet reading it. The quarrel between Mercy and Rafe was a bit too much for me. I didn't feel the affection that I assumed was supposed to be there.

The second half of the book, however, was interesting. When the scandal started, that's when things started going good. Mrs. Kenton was such an annoying character, I think the author did a great job on her. Mercy liked to fix and meddle with things. She just couldn't help it. I also loved that horses and hedges were used as a metaphor. It was a nice addition.

Overall, the book was entertaining. I'm hoping the final version would be a little more gripping, though. Mercy was quite endearing the more I read the book, and eventually, the name-callings became endearing as well. Mercy and Rafe meant well, even though they thought the worst of each other at first.

Mercy: "Rafe, Darling?"
Rafe: "Hmm?"
Mercy: "Do mind my gown. It's very fine silk."
With a low growl, he rolled over and silenced her with another kiss. Before too long, that very fine silk was discarded on the floor in any case, and soon assaulted by his rough cord breeches, his torn shirt, and his muddy boots.

0 comments:

Post a Comment