Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Review: Hard As It Gets



Title: Hard As It Gets
Series: Hard Ink, #1
Author: Laura Kaye
Publisher: Avon
Release Date: November 26, 2013
Pages: 368
Buy LinksAmazon (Kindle) | Amazon (Paperback)

Blurb:

Tall, dark, and lethal...

Trouble just walked into Nicholas Rixey's tattoo parlor. Becca Merritt is warm, sexy, wholesome--pure temptation to a very jaded Nick. He's left his military life behind to become co-owner of Hard Ink Tattoo, but Becca is his ex-commander's daughter. Loyalty won't let him turn her away. Lust has plenty to do with it too.

With her brother presumed kidnapped, Becca needs Nick. She just wasn't expecting to want him so much. As their investigation turns into all-out war with an organized crime ring, only Nick can protect her. And only Becca can heal the scars no one else sees.

Desire is the easy part. Love is as hard as it gets. Good thing Nick is always up for a challenge...


Review

My first Laura Kaye book and I'm blown away!!!

Where do I even start gushing about this book? Do you know that feeling when you're itching to stop whatever it is you're doing - working, studying, eating, even breathing - and just go back to reading the book you're currently into? Well, that's how it was for me with this book.

The first chapter was where the sexy characters were introduced. The first description was of an emo-looking guy. I read the description three times to engrave him to memory...until I found out that he was the wrong brother. Becca met Jeremy first, but she actually needed to meet Nick. Oh my.

Lethal is the new sexy.

Before we get into Nick's sexiness, let's gush about Jeremy. He was flirtatious and had the best T-shirt collection. He was absolutely adorable, but he could also be very serious when it came to his business and the well-being of his brother. I've already put in a request for a novella to be made for him. Let's hope it will happen!

Now, let's talk about Nick. What's more sexy than being lethal? A man that can cook. Nick's specialty was sloppy joes. I personally had never had sloppy joes (gasp!), but I wouldn't mind trying his ;) When he made it for Becca, it was the first sign. What I enjoyed the most, however, was Jeremy's reaction. As younger brothers go, he caught on the sweet gesture of his brother cooking for a lady, and he tried to embarrass his big brother...

Jeremy: "What are you doing, man? You can't...that's sloppy joe!"
Becca glanced between them, a confused smile on her face. Nick winked at her, then arched a brow at Jeremy.
Jeremy: All right, all right. Just step away from the trash. Slowly."

Another thing I loved about Nick was his ninja skills. The guy seriously was a phantom as he was described in the book! He would appear out of nowhere - old habit, as he claimed it. It was absolutely amusing and got me laughing out loud - of course, late at night in my bedroom. Yet of course, the best thing about it was Jeremy's reaction when Nick and Becca were in the same space.

Nick's gaze went molten and he leaned in, just the smallest bit, his line of sight zeroing in on her lips. Oh, God, he's going to kiss me. She swallowed hard, her mouth going dry.

"Hey, is everything okay--oh. Oh, shit. Sorry. Carry on." Jeremy's voice retreated as quickly as it had appeared. Down the hall, his door clicked shut.

Becca, on the other hand, was very strong. I love it when the heroine is strong and brave. She was a nurse which meant she was able to keep calm under pressure. Despite everything that's happened to her, she was able to keep her head and still act protective towards Nick. I especially admired the way she commanded Beckett after he was separated from beating the crap out of Nick. The authority in Becca's voice probably melted every organ in Nick's body at the time. Totally sexy move.

As for the rest of the Special Forces team, they were great! Shane was my favorite! He was also a flirt and just absolutely entertaining most of the time! I'm so glad his story is next in the series!

Shane: "You seriously do ink?"
Nick: "Yeah, I seriously do. Occasionally."
Shane: "You any good?"
Nick: "Bare some skin and find out."
Shane: "If you wanna get me out of my clothes, lovah boy, you gotta wine and dine me first."
Nick: "Asshole."
Shane: "That's southern fried asshole to you."

Marz was the computer genius. I love nerds!

Beckett: "I knew you'd appreciate it."
Marz: "I want to procreate with it." He winked at Becca. "Sorry, I get a little overexcited."

Beckett was the giant who was scary as hell, but was really just protective. Easy was the hardest to remember. I don't know how to describe him.

Marz: "I'm easy."
Easy: "Hey, that's my line."
Shane: "Heard that about both of you."
Marz: "Fucker." His head whipped toward Becca. "Oh, shit, sorry."
Becca: "I'm pretty sure I can handle some 'fucks.'"
Marz: "Well, fuck, then."

Last, but not least, I enjoyed the action in this story. Who doesn't want to read about how badass these men could be on a mission? Totally sexy and lethal. If you don't go and buy this book, you need to see a psychologist and get some serious help.

0 comments:

Post a Comment