Friday, February 22, 2013

Review: If You Give A Rake A Ruby


Title: If You Give A Rake A Ruby
Series: Jewels of the Ton, #2
Author: Shana Galen
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Release Date: March 5, 2013

Blurb:

Her Mysterious Past is the Best Revenge...

Fallon, the Marchioness of Mystery, is a celebrated courtesan with her finger on the pulse of high society. She's adored by men, hated by their wives. No one knows anything about her past, and she plans to keep it that way.

Only He Can Offer Her a Dazzling Future...

Warrick Fitzhugh will do anything to protect his compatriots in the Foreign Office, including seduce Fallon, who he thinks can lead him to the deadliest crime lord in London. He knows he's putting his life on the line...

To Warrick's shock, Fallon is not who he thinks she is, and the secrets she's keeping are exactly what makes her his heart's desire...

Review

I was hooked by this book!

This was the second book in the series, but it was able to stand alone. I'm so happy I signed up to review this book. Shana Galen is amazing!

Warrick wasn't the typical handsome man of the ton. In fact, he wasn't very handsome at all. However, he had intense eyes and that was all he needed. He also used to be a spy. Isn't that sexy in itself?! He was very persuasive, too. Double sexy! I also appreciated that he was a man who didn't have his mind in the gutter. He was able to resist Fallon when she tried to seduce him.

Fallon, on the other hand, was very admirable. She was strong and brave. She didn't let men take advantage of her. She had her past to thank for that. She had it rough and she didn't really have a family she could call her own. They didn't care for her the way families should.

Warrick dragged Fallon and caused her a cracked rib. They were shot at, Fallon was abducted, and Warrick broke into an establishment. I mean, what's not to love about this book? There was action and romance! There was romance right before the action happened! Seriously, intense!

I also appreciated the dialogue between the characters. Check out my three favorite scenes!

Fallon: "You're hard."
Warrick: "I want you."
Fallon: "I should say no."
Warrick: "You should."
Fallon: "This is a bad idea."
Warrick: "The worst."
Fallon: "I'm trying very hard to resist you."
Warrick: "Keep trying. In the meantime, I think I shall push you against that wall, toss your skirts up, and thrust into you."
Fallon: "I wish I didn't like that suggestion very much."

        Lily moved past him, bent, and studied Gabriel. She placed a gloved hand under his chin, heedless of the blood that would ruin the expensive kidskin. "Now, good sir," she said, "start talking because I promise you that though Fitzhugh here won't kill you, I have no such qualms."


      Warrick blinked and a glint of steel winked from her gloved fingers. She pushed the knife point into Gabriel's flesh until he gasped in pain and surprise.


      "I only know rumors," Gabriel hissed, obviously attempting to move his chin as little as possible.


      "Oh, good. I do adore hearing the latest gossip."


      Warrick rolled his eyes, but he didn't interfere. He watched and listened as Lily charmed Gabriel into revealing all.

      "I found the records room, and if you will hold the candle for me, I'll pick the lock and we can search the insurance policies."

      Fallon raised her brows. "That sounds tedious."


      He took her hand and led her down the corridor. "One can't be abducted or involved in a carriage chase every night." He retrieved his tinderbox, lit the candle, and handed it to her. Then she watched as he opened a small leather case and took out what appeared to be professional lock-picking tools. This was why she loved him. How could she love a man who didn't have some useful skills?

0 comments:

Post a Comment