Saturday, July 13, 2013

Review: One Night with a Rake



Title: One Night with a Rake
Author: Connie Mason and Mia Marlowe
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Release Date: June 4, 2013
Pages: 352

Blurb:

For King and Country, Three Notorious Rakes Will Put All Their Seductive Skills to Work.

After All, The Fate of England's Monarchy is in Their Hands.

Since the death of his fiancée, Nathaniel Colton's polished boots have rested beneath the beds of countless wayward wives and widows of the ton. He's careful to leave each lady smiling, and equally careful to guard his heart. So seducing Lady Georgette should pose no problem. But the beautiful reformist is no easy conquest, and Nate's considerable charm fails to entice Georgette to his bed. To woo her, Nate will have to make her believe he cares about someone besides himself--and no one is more surprised than Nate when he realizes he actually does.


Review

Good, but not quite a book I'd read overnight.

The book was slow for the most part. I didn't get into it until the last quarter. I had quite the trouble finishing it and only because I made a commitment to review it. Overall, the book was well-written and it did have some interesting scenes. However, I felt it didn't quite pick up until it was almost over. I suppose it might be true to how the "quality folk" lived back in the day, but I was hoping for more of an adventure, which is the reason why I read books.

I did enjoy that there were scenes dedicated to the servants. I appreciated that they were spotlighted in the book. It showed just how Georgette has changed the rules about the "quality folk" and the servants' relationship. By writing about Georgette's maid's personal life, I thought the authors were able to make it seem like the employer and the employee were almost equal. I definitely liked that.

Check out one of my favorite scene :)
"Georgette," he said softly, his deep bass resonating through her. The way he said her name gave her the shivers. It was as if he were making love to the syllables. Rolling the bits of her name over his tongue, tasting them, caressing them.
What if he were to do that to the rest of her?
Her chest constricted. She didn't trust herself to speak, but she raised herself slightly, rocking up on her toes.
"Forgive me," he said huskily.
She didn't have time to wonder what he was asking forgiveness for. He closed the distance between their mouths and rational thought fled.
A kiss doesn't require forgiveness.It was exactly what she wanted. Needed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment